Tom Petty’s family have informed the media that Tom died due to ”an accidental overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications”.

Tom Petty died last October at the age of 66. It has now been revealed that Petty was taking a variety of drugs for multiple conditions he was suffering with, including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

Petty’s family have said that on the day he passed away, he’d been told that his hip fracture had become a full break and it was their feeling that “the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.”

The statement continues: “We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

“As a family we recognise this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives.

“Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

“On a positive note, we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40-plus year career.

“He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed.”

Petty’s last album, Hypnotic Eye, was released in 2014, and he had been performing regularly since.

About The Author

Music student at The University of Northampton, Blogger, and Drummer!

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.